Thanks for visiting this blog. This is the story of my journey learning how to be an online k-8 teacher. Read about my first year in this position.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

meeting insight

So today I was in a meeting with our team all day for the first time since PD before school. It was interesting to find how the personalities played in the room.
By 1 pm I was finding it so hard to stay engaged in the discussion. I really hope I did not seem checked out. The meeting was not going any where for me.
The day before C told only me she wanted me and M to co-chair the project. I did lead off the meeting but then S took us in a direction that keep her typing, wording and directing for the rest of the day.

I feel that because we are all leaders we could   have gotten more done in smaller groups rather then working whole group. It would have been more productive and job embedded -hey that's from research for my paper due tonight!  Staying whole group focused to work on something for a grade level I was not in was jsut not a valid use of my time.

I feel like I started off the meeting well. I lead with seeking consensus, setting direction explaining process and goals. But in this team environment I do not have the vote power that C does to just us back on line. At 1pm the team was going back to decision we made at 10 am. That's when I  spoke up to keep them on track.

I learned a lot about teams and productive working. I never want to be in a meeting S is leading. there' s too way words and minutia. Small group work would have been easier to reach consensus and be productive through creative tension ( our competitive nature).  We needed more direction; boundaries loose tight leadership. Here's the standard we are using. Here's the generic rubric. Create a generic rubric for your grade level. Then research the assignment specifics from the manuals and textbooks to create assignment specific. Also including weighting for the test is needed.

It was an introspective day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment