Our #SAVMP blog topic for the week 4 is the importance of trust. That's effectively my first unit when you are a virtual teacher. Our families have opted out of a traditional education track for a reasons. And their reasons are as varied as the students. But there was a reason and I need to build a partnership with those families. So trust building is our first lesson together.
Starting the Wednesday before Labor Day ( in Michigan it's illegal to start official school before Labor Day) I will be making "Getting to know you" calls. Our team has worked some general points we need to communicate. One is "is there anything I need to know about your student?".
There's so much building in the background of these calls.
- I am establishing a relationship with the Learning Guide. They are the front line teacher so this is critical.
- We are establishing the boundaries. Yes you can always text me but I have office hours.
- I am introducing myself to the Learning Guide and the student.
- I am hearing their story.
- I am hearing their needs and goals for the year.
Last year these were hour long phone calls that included a great deal of directions. I repeated these directions for every call. Most of the time I was giving too much information and rightly so the family did not remember the information. There was to much agenda and repeating and wasted directions.
This year we will be shifting most of that direction and information to in person orientations and webinars. My goal is to make that introduction call shorter and more focused. I want to listen more. Instead of giving directions, I want to be understanding my families more. "Seek first to understand" will be the goal of my call. This shift will build trust.
No comments:
Post a Comment