Thanks for visiting this blog. This is the story of my journey learning how to be an online k-8 teacher. Read about my first year in this position.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Weekly Reflection

I was proud of our response to enrollment this last week. Friday we had 202 kids enrolled. Carol told the staff Wednesday the numbers were there to move one of the "on deck" teachers to full time. She said she was looking at experience to see who she was bringing on. I liked the way she kept the team informed by did not give not gossip information. It was a good level of information for me. Friday we learned Cortney was coming on board. the other teachers were called and let know. Carol was very clear about still wanting them if they were here next year and using them as help when we had extra work. It was a good tone to leave the relationship on. But then Friday I had about 12 new kids appear.  Monday Carol said she had the numbers to bring on Meredith. 

This created a big "dust storm" of moving kids around. We had a plan that would involved creating many new sections. There was a conference call with Calvert Tuesday afternoon. Calvert reacted to our plan with less then positive moves. They went off phone and said that no one else does it that way. Carol adapted to Calvert's standard messier solution that would require more behavior shaping on our part. She stayed up all night and did a spreadsheet she brought back to the staff meeting the next day. 

We called Calvert again with more questions. We doubled checked that everyone was placed. And sent the list to Calvert. 

What I liked about this "crisis" is that it did not feel like a crisis. There was a huge problem and we were changing direction but I never felt stressed. I think that is because we were informed. Reflecting on this week it was crazy but because I was informed and listened to I did not feel as stressed. There were two phone calls with Carol where I had questions and she created a conference call with Calvert and let me ask my questions directly.  I was careful not to be reactive or alarmist. I thought my questions through. But I was listened to and never dictated to. I think it's because we are all learning. We are in uncharted waters. 

Reflecting on the way communications went this week makes me think about my own communications. In my own communications I step on the end of what people are saying and rush myself into verbal mistakes. I am trying to ease this. I see someone else's sentence as a sprig board and I just want to jump off of what they are saying. I feel I am listening and responding. But I still feel I am stepping on them. Working on that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment