Thanks for visiting this blog. This is the story of my journey learning how to be an online k-8 teacher. Read about my first year in this position.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Weekly reflection

My job does not give you grey hairs; it makes them go away!
Translation: I can dye my hair while working.

This week saw enrollment climb yet again. 180 to 230 to 318 with another 20 still in the pipeline. We are the size of the elementary that my kids went too.
I am at 47 in my homeroom. What I like about working for a quality organization is they reward you for stepping up. I get $50/ kid/week for anyone over 40. There will be 7 this week. Nothing like Madison, where they viewed their teachers are "Get blood more a stone, then squeeze for more!"

This week I was on a high. Enrollment is climbing. Carol called me to work with Karla on getting activities that they can do without books because the money window open Monday ( count day ). MEAP is riding up on us. Carol called me to be a MEAP site supervisor.

I realized I like to have a leadership role in projects. In fact I can be very judgmental of projects I am not given leadership roles in. I was passed over for the SLC leader. I really felt I could do a good job. I expressed interest but the union said do say anything. And they cornered someone else for it. Then I was put in a team with the only person in the school I asked not to be with. Between those two events, I had a very hard time participating in the program. I hope I did not show it.

The leadership piece is the same as the two computer training firms I worked at. The same as getting all those long term sub jobs. the same as all the extras Madison asked me to do. I have been in enough work places that I am seeing patterns. I like the leadership and I am pretty good at it. Better then when I was younger.

I am physically adjusting to the new job. Sitting all day is hard. I take recess at 10:30 and do ten minutes of house work. I have been good about taking a shower everyday and walking most days.

Some other teachers are expressing doubts that this is the job for them to me. They feel disconnected to students. I do not . I think I am young enough that i can feel that connection on line. I also balance that with feeling more connected and "there" for my own kids. But I totally respect their feelings. This is not the type of teaching for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment