well I looked at the data for proficiency and progress. The proficiency for my caseload looks really good. I know that Courtney has said she gives them a zero if they have to redo it. That would make her data look worst.
The progress does not look good. I would like to see many more students closer to 60%. I think this may be a two part problem. The demands of the program. This program is demanding as public school. A rigorous pace is a cultural problem for many of our students. The mosque cohort is used to working year round. The homeschoolers are not used to deadlines. Many students have learning, attention or behavior issues that impend progress. That being said there is about 10% that are moving at an accelerated pace.
my next concern is honesty. Seeing work in student hand writing does help assure the work is authenticate. Often times the work is typed and not in student vocabulary. I have had a student turn in one piece of writing that is handwritten and below grade level. Hand was misspelled. The next assignment was typed with graphic, off subject with a high vocabulary. Mrs, C has emailed me twice that her daughter is looking up looking up answers on the internet and printing out the test as she does the lessons. Of course I wonder why the parent allows this.
In order to be a good Learning Guide you need two elements: competency and commitment. Competency can be taught. The program is scripted. I am here as a certified teacher. But commitment cannot be taught it must be there or be inspired. One colleague drew attention to the fact that commitment can be flipped instantly while competency takes more time. Learning Guide must be really committed. Not just in words.
Those are my three concerns.
No comments:
Post a Comment