Thanks for visiting this blog. This is the story of my journey learning how to be an online k-8 teacher. Read about my first year in this position.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Finding the path

I had an early post where I was disappointed in my admin when she placed a student where I did not think they should be. An issue like that came up again. The student is only 50% done with Core and GCS which is reading, social studies, comp, spelling and grammar. He has completed math and science. The mother asked me "Can't you just give him a C for test 100?" I stated he had turned nothing in for that test. She just repeated her question.
So they went over my head. And he will go on to the next grade.
Which really I am OK with. The family wants to get him into a public high school. I think he would do better with traditional teacher and traditional pacing. I think we will be giving him an E for second semester, but we will not FAIL him. Which I am good with.
This time I could see the admin position. Most districts do move everyone to the next grade even if they had all E's. The problem is it kills them in high school when it's based on credits. But no one should fail first grade. I am teaching middle school now . That's emotional a tough time.
I just feel differently about the situation. I think it's a shift in perception. As an admin, Carol needs to find a path where the grades are creditable, the family is happy, and( most important) the student will be successful.

But this was a learning lesson for me. I was butting heads with the family. I was not going to pass him and I had no authority to speak to his placement next year.  They went over my head to a person who had that authority. Carol called me and reminded me that she is there for cases like this.

I should have handed it up to her sooner. At least I had it on her radar. Lesson learned. All kids need to pass if it is remotely possible and there is a time to "call in the big dogs".

No comments:

Post a Comment