Ruff notes
It's not what you know - that's in your pocket- It's what you DO with what you know
“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.- eric hoffer
traditional learning is delievery v. modern learning is discovery
time and place v. anywhere anytime
just in case v. just in time
how much time are we spending because of scarity
national council of teacher of enlish stanards for 21st century
its not what you know it's what you can do with what you know
I am searching for new areas to change what I can do with what I could know
learning in moving from instiution into learners hands
as a teacher we are should be shifting from delivering to guiding
It's not 21st century learning we are 14 years into this now. It's modern learning
Take aways
I loved the just in time learning instead of just in case. I think there is a body of content that gives us a cultural understanding but that context for context sake model is dead. Teachers used to have monopolies on knowledge now we must coach thinking.
He flipped between an image of the whole library verses the one shelf that a school gives you. He flipped between images of everyone on twitter verses your teachers. He declared he wanted his teenage children to learn from strangers. Because he did and he would not settle from only learning from those he knew so why should he children. It flipped a switch for me. Why should I embrace that and refuse that to my children.
He struck a balance between virtual learning and being connected to the internet. Between public school and private. Still supporting public education and traditional education.
Inspiration
I would love to develop an innovate high school program that is beyond blended to emerged. Where content is taught online but thinking is coached by facilitators/teachers. Where project based learning is mapped to common core. where those projects are impactful to the community related to business processes. Physically there would be coffee shop hangouts, build rooms and access points, and conference rooms.
No comments:
Post a Comment