When you work at home, you do not have work hours. I have tasks, deadlines, and appointments. Tasks are just things to get done "soonish". Deadlines are tasks with hard deadlines. Appointments are those nasty fixed time events. There is no working from 8 to 5. I work from 6 to 7am then I stop and get the kids off to school. I work in the evenings and weekends but I grocery shop in the middle of Monday afternoon without any guilt. If my tasks and deadlines are being met, everythings good.
I remember sitting at the desk at work when I worked in IT thinking "This is stupid. I could be home doing ...." while I was just watching the clock.
It terms of managing at home workers, there's a huge trust issue. Rightfully so because there's a huge penitential for abuse. But that's where metrics for monitoring tasks and deadlines are important. If it's getting done, the employee is earning trust. With the right staff, this is a win for employers and employees.
No comments:
Post a Comment